Thursday, December 8, 2011

I live for little moments, like that.

Lately, I've felt so fortunate for this adventure, we call Texas. As much as it sucks to be so far away, it has been one of the biggest blessings thus far in our marriage. We have been able to identify ourselves as our own family and have to rely on each other so much more.

I've been able to spend day and night with my son, without having to hear that I "do nothing" all day. {yeah, I've heard it plenty. YOU try keeping a house spotless, without a maid, while watching a toddler. Be my guest.} I'm pretty sure, I have the best husband ever. He always makes sure to let me know he could never do my 'job', and on days like today, its nice to hear.

If nothing else comes out of moving here, I'm content in knowing we've grown as individuals and even more so a couple. Having an understanding and appreciation of each other and the duties we each hold that we didn't have before.

This week has been one to remember. Ryder has discovered his love for books. He brings me books all day, and puts his chubby arms up for me to pick him up to sit on my lap. He snuggles into my arm and lays back while i read. As long as I keep reading, he'll keep snuggling.

Every night we have the same routine. Diaper change, lights off, TV on, and a blankie on the floor with a bottle in hand.
Usually, he'll roll around after he drinks his milk and I pat his back until he's asleep. But, the other night as soon as his bottle was gone he stood up and walked behind me.

I tried to ignore him, so he'd come lay back down. But he didn't. I felt his little hand on my back and thought for sure my hair would be pulled any minute. But it didn't.

He started rubbing my back, for at least a minute. I started crying as soon as he started. I didn't want to look back, because I didn't want him to stop. It's like he knew that it comforted him to sleep and just wanted to do the same for me.

When I did look back he got the most adorable, bashful smile.. Then gave me the biggest hug he's ever given me, followed by a long "awwww". Knowing, he did something really great. He fell asleep in my lap that night. It was the most amazing feeling in the world.

I wish my husband was home every night, and knowing how much Ryder adores his 'Da-ee', I know he does, too. It's hard knowing he has to miss those cute things. We miss him like crazy. I know he misses us, but I see the love that it must take to work for 14 days straight at 100+ hours per week to support and give your family everything they need. I'm truly blessed. I never thought this would be my life, but I'm so glad it is.


6 comments:

  1. So darn special. This blog makes me wish I was a stay at home mother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one put a couple tears in my eyes. <3 You ase such a spectacular mommy. Ryder couldnt have two better parents.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're in the same boat sister. It's not easy being home all day/night without the hubby-especially when the kiddos do something new and he can't see it himself because he's at work. Lately with the new baby, ive felt really overwhelmed with dealing with a 2.5 year old, taking him to his classes, trying to potty train, keep the house in order, iron shirts, fold clothes, clean, play with Conrad and feed elle.... it's SO hard. Whoever says stay at home moms sit on their butts all day and do nothing needs to come spend an hour with us! Dustin reminded me recently that my "job" is to teach the kids and play with them, not clean. If the cleaning gets done than that's a plus, but my real job is just loving on them and spending time with them. You're doing a great job with your little turkey leg. He is SUCH a sweet lil guy! Im glad that being away from fam/friends has grown you guys. I look forward to that when we move! <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. So so sweet Whit. You inspire me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is awesome! What an adorable gesture of love! You can tell that you are a good mother BECAUSE he has recognized that love and is trying to give it right back! That is awesome! Love you guys! I love the pics of his beautiful smile too! You can totally see CLARK in him! The top picture kind of looks like Brandon when he was a baby! Crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a sweet special boy. Your very own little angle to love you when you need it the most. He's blessed to have such a wonderful and loving mommy too. You two are lucky to have each other.

    ReplyDelete